Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Online Corrections

The first day of lecture we discussed the need for transparency in the media. The more transparent the media is, the more credible it is. One of the ways the media can do this is by being clear about their corrections.

Unfortunately, I need to petition for a correction in one of my classmate's blogs.

A Wednesday, Sept. 17 blog post by Meghan Montemurro entitled "Michael Phelps Obsession?" inaccurately said "(This blog post is dedicated to Katie O'Connell and her love of Michael Phelps.)"

I am, in fact, not in love with Michael Phelps.

Miriam-Webster defines love as "a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties." Considering that I have never met Michael Phelps, the statement made by the author is false.

I only ask that the media be clear in its reporting. When statements are made that are false, I ask that they be corrected.

Thank you.

2 comments:

LKH said...

I admit, Meghan should have checked her facts... Jeeze!

Katie O'Connell said...

The issue that I have with this is that Meghan remains in a state of ignorance. Well, maybe that's a bit harsh. Either way she refuses to admit that I am, in fact, not in love with Michael Phelps.

Such is life.