Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tweet!



Look familiar to you?

If not, it should. Twitter.com is the latest site when it comes to news dissemination, but surprisingly it isn't run by a news organization.

It's run through you.

I first heard about twitter at an online journalism conference last spring. Considering the work I do as Managing Editor for Online at The Daily Illini and my ongoing interest in new media, I signed up for the site.

And then I didn't log in for months.

At first it seemed like a glorified Facebook update. Since I already had a Facebook profile, I wasn't too sure what to make of twitter.

That was until this past week. Many news organizations, such as The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun-Times and locally The News-Gazette use twitter to connect with a wide audience. They do so by updating their status with the latest headlines about news, weather, traffic, etc.

For any student interested in the news, this is the latest place to go. It's a social networking Web site similar to Facebook that in a clean and simple format that allows you to digest your favorite outlet's articles.

Fancy yourself a news junky? Then this is your latest high.

3 comments:

Sue Kantor said...

In the past week, I have heard so many people talking about and signing up for Twitter. I'm going to have to check it out too.

Unknown said...

After hearing about people talking about it in the newsroom, I did indeed sign up for Twitter. However, I still don't really understand the point of it, though maybe that's because I only have other co-workers on mine. I'm interested in seeing if I get more drawn into it.

Jon said...

I've heard a lot of buzz about Twitter lately, too. Hopefully I'll keep myself away from it until after finals, though.